Wednesday

"And the two shall become one flesh."

Sunday Reading Reflections
"And the two shall become one flesh."
Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, October 4, 2009 (27B)

SUNDAY READINGS
HOMILIES FOR SUNDAY
Click COMMENTS below to leave your reflections.


First Reading
Book of Genesis, Chapter 2, Verses 18-24

1. Adam, one of us, gave each creature its name. Have we cared fir the planet and all the life on it? What about environment problems on the earth? Discuss what can you do in your home or place of work to make changes for the better.

2. Do you think the culture from which this story comes values women the same as men? Why or why not? What would you say to a person who thinks the superiority of men over women is divinely revealed in this text? What would you do if the women and men in your work place were not treated as equals?

Second Reading
Letter to the Hebrews, Chapter 2, Verses 9-11

1. What ideas do you get when you tie the first line of the first reading, “The Lord God said: ‘It is not good for the man to be alone.’” with the first line from the second, “for a little while” he was with us?

2. Jesus consecrated himself to his Father and us along with him. He called us sisters and brothers. What about our own reverence in order towards our brothers and sisters? Do you treat the bag lady with the same respect as you do the CEO?

Gospel
According to Mark, Chapter 10, Verses 2-16

1. The Pharisees tried to trick Jesus by their question about divorce, He answered with a question about what Moses allowed. Why did Jesus responded at all? In the light of human weakness do you think concessions like annulments are necessary?

2. All deep bonds with others have a profound effect on our lives. What kinds of things bring people together in the first place? What can you do to hold those bonds intact?

Share Your Reflections
Click COMMENTS below and leave your comments and reflections.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    Annulments are OK if they are done with sincerity and true honesty as to the reasons. To try to wiggle a way out of a marriage using an annulment can be dangerous. You may be able to fool the tribunal. But you can not fool God who knows the real score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:19 PM

    This would be better answered by a a priest or somebody knowledgeable in Theology. Please don't quote me or take my word for a fact. I do not want to contaminate your faith.

    Divorce perse is not a sin. It is not recognized by the Catholic Church (..what God has put together, let no man put asunder..) What would make it a sin is if either one of the divorced couple remarries (even civil). Of course, the Catholic church will not marry them. If he/she engages in sex regardless of whether they are married or not to their new partner, it makes it a sin (6th). If they are divorced and stay celibate, I don't think they are committing a sin. There is such a thing called annulment. Over here, it goes to a Church Tribunal. There are only certain grounds that the annulment is granted. This matter , i suggest, should be discussed with the clergy. My opinion is only based on what I know as far as the 6th commandment is concerned.

    I came across this issue when I got involved with a divorced man (no sex involved here). My conscience was bugging me. I then wrote a clergy noted for his writings on this issue ( I forgot his name). He sent me a literature on the subject and it sort of enlightened me on the issue. Well, the relationship did not last. I thank God for that. I did not want a complicated relationship. If ever, there would be issues with ex-wife and kid/s.

    God bless you and good topic for discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:50 AM

    The night before our wedding my Grandmother took me aside. She was 1st generation American but very old country in her style. She started to tell me that I only saw the good side of their marriage and that they did have difficulties and fights. I said Grandma I don't need to hear this now. And she told me No this is when you need to hear it. I have thought about that many tmes through the years. Best advice I have ever been given!

    God bless you Grandma!!

    ReplyDelete