"He will give you another Advocate to be with you always"
This week, the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time, the Readings move us forward in our consideration of the Easter Mystery. We move from the contemplation of Christ's appearances after the resurrection over the last few Sundays to a meditation on the continued presence of Christ in the Church through the Holy Spirit.
Sunday Readings' Discussion Questions
Sixth Sunday of Easter, May 25, 2014 (6EasterA)
From the Center for Liturgy at Saint Louis University
Sunday Mass Readings
Podcast of the Readings
Video of Reflections on Readings
Lecturas y Comentarios
Prayer of the Hours
BQ: What does the Holy Spirit do in your life?
Questions on Sunday's Readings for use by discussion groups,
prayer groups, or for individual prayer.
Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 8, Verses 5-8, 14-17
1. In last week’s Gospel we listened to Philip ask for help with his belief. This week he has the city of Samaria high with “great joy.” What do you think caused the change? Why did the crowds “pay attention” to what Philip was saying? What gets your attention in spiritual matters?
2. The Samaritans saw many signs. What are the signs of the presence of God in your life? Do any signs fill you with joy?
Psalm 66: 1-7, 16, 20
1. The Psalm says, 'Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.' This is in response to the tremendous deeds of God.' Have you seen the works of God in your life? Explain.
2. Our psalmist says 'Hear now, all you who fear God, while I declare what he has done for me.' Have you given witness to what God has done for you? Give an example of how His presence has transformed you.
First Letter of St. Peter, Chapter 3, Verses 15-18
1. Explain how Christ is a reason for your hope.
2. How does suffering for the sake of truth make us like Christ? How does suffering help us know Christ? What does “suffering for the sake of truth,” mean to you? Give an example of someone who suffers like this today.
According to John, Chapter 14, Verses 15-21
1. Do you think you can understand the mysteries of God and how God works in your life simply by studying or reading or discussing? What else does it take? What/Who enables you to recognize the signs in the First Reading?
2. “Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.” Explain how and why you think this quotation works. How does love impact knowledge and understanding in any friendship?
Online Sunday Bible Study Group
Please share below your reflections on the Sunday Readings. May we be blessed by God's words as reflected in your thoughts and experience-sharing.